Adding a security screen door to the front of your home not only improves security, but also enhances the curb appeal and allows plenty of light into a normally dark section of the home. Nevertheless, before you go out to buy the screen door, you need to get the right measurements from your existing door which you will use to find a screen door that will essentially fit perfectly. You don't want to part with your cash for a screen door that doesn't fit your door frame. This article will guide you through the ideal method of measuring for a security screen door.
What you'll need:
- Measuring tape
- Pencil or pen
- Piece of paper
Obtain the height measurement
You will need to measure the height of your door in three areas from the top of the base threshold to the footing of the header or the top piece of trim.
- Position the tape measure above the threshold and stretch it to the end of the top piece of external trim.
- Repeat this procedure starting from the right side, the midpoint and the left side of the door opening and record the measurements for each of the three sections.
- Take note of the smallest of the three recorded measurements, because this is what you will be using.
Obtain the width measurement
Obtain the measurements for the width of the door beginning from left to right to the inside of the trim.
- Perform this in 3 areas: at the highest point of the door opening; in the centre of the door opening just around the door handle and at the base of the door opening. Record each of the three measurements.
- Take note of the smallest of the three door width measurements, because this is what you will be using.
Work out the door measurements
Based on the width x height format, write down the smallest measurements of both the door width and height. For instance, if your smallest measurement for the door width is 40 inches and your smallest measurement for the door height is 90 inches, then you will write 40" x 90".
This is the measurement that will determine the size of the security screen door you will buy. Compare your door measurements with the available screen door sizes. Because buying a screen door is a major investment, you would want to make sure that you get accurate measurements. In this regard, you may need to repeat the entire process twice or thrice to be completely sure.